WHAT YOU’LL LEARN TO DO: Learn the basics of how to set up and operate a compound light microscope.
- Set up a microscope to view slides properly, efficiently, and without damaging the microscope or slide
- Apply concepts of resolving power, resolution, lens magnifying factor, and total magnification to images viewed under a microscope.
- Understand how a microscope changes and distorts an image.
- Convert a visual image from a slide into an accurate but simplified line drawing.
- Reading: The parts of a compound microscope and how to handle them correctly
- Exercises 4.1
- Reading: Magnification and resolution
- Exercises 4.2
- Reading: Setting up a microscope and slide properly
- Exercises 4.3
- Reading: How the virtual image differs from the real image
- Exercises 4.4
- Reading: Making simple but accurate line drawings of magnified specimens
- Exercises 4.5
Click here to download the exercises for this module as either a Word file or as a PDF file:
If you want a PDF file of the entire lab, it is available here: A&P Lab 4 – Microscopy I