Here are some helpful topics that might help you with Discussion 2. Early bird gets the worm, meaning you must choose a topic that has not been research yet in the forum.
1. Compare different versions of the figure of David. Compare Donatello, Michelangelo; and Bernini. What about Bernini’s version makes it Baroque?
2. Research Bernini’s sculpture of the Ecstasy of Saint Theresa.
3. Research Bernini’s architectural work, including Saint Peter’s Square, and the fountains in Rome.
4. Research the Calling of St. Mathew by Caravaggio. How do Caravaggio’s paintings express the role of the Catholic Church to enlist artists in the Counter Reformation?
5. Study the use of light in Caravaggio’s art. What is Chiaroscuro, and how doe his way of painting influence other Baroque artists?
6. Research the painting Judith and Holofernes by Artemisia Gentileschi. Why is important to learn about her life when discussing this painting?
7. Research the painting by Gentileschi, Susanna and Her Elders. How is this painting also connected to her life story?
8. Research the painting by Diego Velasquez, Las Meninas. Who are the people in the painting? Why is Velasquez considered revolutionary in his painting of light, and space?
9. Research the painting by Rubens, Prometheus. Who was Prometheus? What about Rubens painting connects it to the Baroque style of realism?
10. Research the Night Watch by Rembrandt. What is the event being represented in the painting? Why is it titled the Night Watch?