Learning Outcome_Be able to identify key works from Chapter 9, and 10 in the Lumen Learning Text. Have an understanding of key stylistic elements of Neoclassical, and Romantic Art, and Architecture
Scroll Down Entire Page
Research the artists in the Lumen text Chapters 9, and 10.
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What are the key characteristics of the Rococo?
- How did Neoclassicism develop?
- What are some of the key characteristics of Neoclassical art?
- Who are the key artists in the Neoclassical movement in Europe, and America?
- Read the article below in the Lumen Text_Introduction to Neoclassical Art.
- Neo-classicism is characterized by: clarity of form; sober colors; shallow space; strong horizontal and verticals that render that subject matter timeless, instead of temporal as in the dynamic Baroque works; and, Classical subject matter—or classicizing contemporary subject matter.
- Here are just a few artists to research for this discussion:
Jacques-Louis David https://courses.lumenlearning.com/arthistory2-91/chapter/davids-death-of-marat/
John Singleton Copley https://courses.lumenlearning.com/arthistory2-91/chapter/john-singleton-copley/
Theodore Gericault Raft of Medusa https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-arthistory/chapter/neoclassicism-and-romanticism/
Ingres Grande Odalisque https://courses.lumenlearning.com/arthistory2-91/chapter/grand-odalisque/
Delacroix Liberty Leading the People https://courses.lumenlearning.com/arthistory2-91/chapter/liberty-leading-the-people/
Hudson River School_Romantic landscape painting in America https://courses.lumenlearning.com/arthistory2-91/chapter/hudson-river-school/