We will study the great movement of Impressionism, and changes in Realism in Later 19th Century.
What You’ll Learn To Do: Examine Nineteenth Century art and its impact on later artistic developments.
In Chapter 11 of the Lumen Learning Text, we will examine Nineteenth Century art.
We will look at how artists like Monet contributed to the development of Western art. It is imperative to understand Nineteenth Century art in order to see how it impacted later artistic developments.
After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Nineteenth Century art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Nineteenth Century art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Nineteenth Century art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- How did artists of the 19-century react to developments in technology and science?
- What were the various styles created throughout the 19-century?
- What role did the emerging art market play in the creation of 19-century art?