What You’ll Learn To Do: Understand numbers in other bases and recognize when use of other bases is applicable to real-life situations.
- Describe historical examples of simple grouping, multiplicative grouping, and positional numeration systems in the development of modern mathematics.
- Write and interpret numbers in other bases.
- Convert directly between binary, octal, decimal, and hexadecimal bases.
- Recognize when use of other bases is applicable to real-life situations, solve real-life problems, and communicate real-life problems and solutions to others.
The learning activities for this module include:
Reading Assignments and Videos
- Read: Numeration
- Watch: Supplemental Videos
- Read: Binary, Octal, and Hexadecimal
- Submit: Numeration Homework #1 (16 points)
- Submit: Numeration Homework #2 (16 points)
- Discuss: Numeration Application (20 points)