Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
1. use prewriting strategies to choose and narrow a topic, to generate and organize ideas
and to plan an essay;
2. draft an essay that expresses a main point and provides detailed development and support for that point;
3. revise writing to achieve coherence, unity and clarity;
4. edit writing to correct mechanical errors;
5. produce finished essays which express a main point, provide detailed development, clearly communicate ideas, and come to an effective closure. The essay will also follow the rules of standard written English;
6. critique their own writing and the writings of others;
7. use research procedures to produce a documented paper using MLA format;
8. write successful essays within the confines of a time limit;
9. exhibit the ability to think critically and analytically and to reason logically in their writing;
10. recognize that composition skills from this course apply to other writing situations and enhance life-long learning.
General Education Objectives
· produce coherent texts within common college-level written forms;
· demonstrate the ability to revise and improve such texts;
· research a topic, develop an argument, and organize supporting details.