- Latin West Civilization to Include
- Bubonic Plague
- Carolingian Culture
- Christianity during the Middle Ages
- Latin West Artistic styles such as Romanesque and Gothic
- Latin West Architecture styles such as Westwork
- Ottonian Culture
- The Crusades
- The Feudal System and its Collapse
This module introduces students to Western European civilization during the Middle Ages. Students will determine what cultural artifacts what architecture from the Carolingian, Gothic and Romanesque eras tell us about their historical contexts. Students will demonstrate understanding of cultural expressions by noting how the art produced by Western Europeans during the Middle Ages compared with their Byzantine neighbors. Students will recognize the contributions made by Western Europeans during the Middle Ages with respect to the reintroduction the democratic ideals in the West and the birth of the nation-state. Students demonstrate critical thinking by assessing the extent to which it is appropriate to refer to the Middle Ages as the ‘Dark Ages.’ (1)
Learning Outcomes Related to this Module
- Demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking
- Recognize the relationships between cultural expressions and their contexts
- Understand cultural expressions
- Interpret and evaluate cultural artifacts and/or their contexts for significance
- Recognize the important contributions of the medieval world; understand and analyze specific primary texts from the medieval world
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Sort events in historical order from Middle Age Western European civilization.
- Identify the historical developments that resulted from the collapse of the Roman Empire in Western Europe.
- Identify economic, political, and religious continuities and changes that transpired in Western Europe over the course of the Middle Ages.
- Identify artistic and architectural during the Middle Ages, to include the Carolingian, Ottonian, Romanesque and Gothic eras.
- Compare Western European and Byzantine civilizations during the Middle Ages. (1)
- Learning Unit – Western European Civilization During the Middle Ages
- Review Learning Unit
- Participate in Discussion 8
- Complete Timeline Assignment 8
- Complete Assessment Module 8
- Complete and submit Final Exam
- Submit Capstone Project | Final Paper