This module introduces information source types and characteristics. It also explores how information changes over time. Understanding the characteristics of information will help you select the best sources for your research project. (1)
This module aligns with Learning Outcomes 1 and 3.
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Choose the information type that best matches a research question.
- Define elements of the information cycle.
- Identify the capabilities and constraints of information published through social media, websites, popular media, and academic media.
- Create an information timeline. (1)
Teaching & Learning, Ohio State University Libraries. Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research: (CC BY 4.0.)
Chapter 2: Types of Sources Note: External links and videos embedded within Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research are supplemental in nature.
Learning Unit: Characteristics of Information
Assignments and Learning Activities
- Submit Student Contract
- Complete Readings
- Participate in Greetings and Introductions Discussion
- Participate in Module 1 Discussion
- Complete Information Life Cycle Assignment