Explain how society shapes reality
Society is based on the social construction of reality. How we define society influences how society actually is. Likewise, how we see other people influences their actions as well as our actions toward them. We all take on various roles throughout our lives, and our social interactions depend on what types of roles we assume, who we assume them with, and the scene where interaction takes place.
Think back to the first discussion post you were asked to make. What roles did you represent on your slide? Did you show pictures of you being a mother or a father? Did you talk about your love for softball or football? How did you describe yourself? Often the labels we identify as are directly related to the roles we fulfill.
What you’ll learn to do:
- Understand the sociological concept of reality as a social construct
- Define roles and describe how individuals present themselves and perceive themselves in a social context
- Describe dramaturgical analysis
The learning activities for this section include:
- Reading: Social Constructions of Reality
- Reading: Roles and the Presentation of Self
- Video: Dramaturgy
- Self-Check: Reality as a Social Construct