Written Assignment The Northern Renaissance
This is a research essay, about 350 words, more if you get going, Mr. S.
Readings about the early Renaissance https://courses.lumenlearning.com/masteryart1-91/
I want you to research one of the following two works of art by these influential artists connected to the Renaissance in Northern Europe.
- The first work is called the Ghent Altarpiece by Jan Van Eyck, a Flemish artist in the medieval Belgium city of Ghent.
- Work two is the Isenheim Altarpiece by Mathias Grunewald, a Northern Renaissance artist in Germany.
|This work is in the public domain in its country of origin and other countries and areas where the copyright term is the author’s life plus 100 years or less.
|This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights.|
This photographic reproduction is therefore also considered to be in the public domain in the United States.
Read everything in the text about one of these works, and the artist who created them. You should include a brief bio, and a brief description of the place in which they lived.
Research your chosen work on the web, you may start with the sites that I have included below, but you have to include a minimum of one more site that you find on your own.
Jan Van Eyck Ghent Altarpiece
BE SURE TO INCLUDE FOOTNOTES, AND A BIBLIOGRAPHY
See Course Information Doc. on Footnotes
- How does each artist portray his subject in a unique way?
- Describe each work, what do you see in the picture?
Is there anything that really catches your eye in the picture?
- What did you find out in your research?
- What in the picture identifies the country of origin?
i.e. is there anything in the picture that connects it to the place of origin?