Written Assignment The Northern Renaissance
This is a research essay, about 350 words, more if you get going, Mr. S.
I want you to research one of the following two works of art by these influential artists connected to the Renaissance in Northern Europe.
- The first work is called the Ghent Altarpiece by Jan Van Eyck, a Flemish artist in the medieval Belgium city of Ghent.
- Work two is the Isenheim Altarpiece by Mathias Grunewald, a Northern Renaissance artist in Germany.
Read everything in the text about one of these works, and the artist who created them. You should include a brief bio, and a brief description of the place in which they lived.
Research your chosen work on the web, you may start with the sites that I have included below, but you have to include a minimum of one more site that you find on your own.
Jan Van Eyck
BE SURE TO INCLUDE FOOTNOTES, AND A BIBLIOGRAPHY
See Course Information Doc. on Footnotes
- How does each artist portray his subject in a unique way?
- Describe each work, what do you see in the picture?
Is there anything that really catches your eye in the picture?
- What did you find out in your research?
- What in the picture identifies the country of origin?
i.e. is there anything in the picture that connects it to the place of origin?