Dr. Beth Harris and Dr. Steven Zucker provide a description, historical perspective, and analysis of the Equestrian Sculpture of Marcus Aurelius. The original location of the sculpture is unknown, though it had been housed in the Lateran Palace since the eighth century until it was placed in the center of the Piazza del Campidoglio by Michelangelo in 1538. The original is now indoors for purposes of conservation. Marcus Aurelius ruled 161–180 CE.
Equestrian Sculpture of Marcus Aurelius, bronze, c. 173–76 CE, (Capitoline Museums, Rome).