After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Modern art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Modern art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Modern art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What were the major movements of Modernism?
- What was the influence of WWII on art?
- When did the center of the art world move to New York?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- Ashcan School
- American Regionalism
- American Abstraction
- American Realism
- Latin American Modernism
- Abstract Expressionism
- Action Painting
- drip technique
- Color Field Painting
- New York School
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.