After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of the earliest Renaissance art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from the Proto-Renaissance
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Proto-Renaissance art
- Assess and evaluate the beginnings of Renaissance art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What is the Proto-Renaissance?
- How does the Proto-Renaissance differ from the Renaissance?
- Why is Giotto considered the father of Western painting?
- What changes begin to occur in art during the Proto-Renaissance?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- narrative cycle
- buon (true) fresco
- secco fresco
- trompe l’oeil
- lapis lazuli
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.