After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of High Renaissance and Mannerist art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of High Renaissance and Mannerist art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of High Renaissance and Mannerist art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What are the characteristics of the High Renaissance?
- How does Michelangelo’s approach to creating art differ from Raphael and da Vinci?
- What role did Humanism play in the High Renaissance?
- How is Venetian art different from art produced in central Italy?
- What are the characteristics of Mannerism?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- Greek cross
- central plan church
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.