See Chapters 4, and 5 in Lumen Learning Text
What You’ll Learn To Do: Examine Italian Renaissance art and its impact on art history.
We will examine Italian Renaissance art. We will look at how artists like Donatello contributed to the development of Western art. It is imperative to understand Italian Renaissance art in order to see how it impacted later artistic developments.
What You’ll Learn To Do: Examine High Renaissance and Mannerist art and their influence on later art history.
We will examine High Renaissance and Mannerist art. We will look at how artists like Michelangelo contributed to the development of Western art. It is imperative to understand High Renaissance and Mannerist art in order to see how it impacted later artistic developments.
After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Italian Renaissance art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Italian Renaissance art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Italian Renaissance art on the continued evolution of Western art
- While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- Why was Florence such an important city for the development of Renaissance art?
- What did early Renaissance art look like?
- What were some of the key developments in Renaissance art?
- How did Renaissance art look different from earlier art?