The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides free publications, forms, and tools to help all taxpayers fulfill their tax obligation:
- Forms and Publications – Get the most popular forms and instructions, or search for specific titles or product numbers. The IRS also offers forms and publications for taxpayers with visual impairments.
- Tools – Find interactive forms, calculators, and other helpful tools.
- Help and Resource Center – Learn about the many free services and resources that the IRS offers to taxpayers.
- Choose a Tax Preparer – Get tips for finding a tax preparer with the credentials and experience to handle your tax needs. Learn how to file a complaint if your preparer has acted improperly.
Special Programs for Eligible Taxpayers
If you qualify, the following free tax return preparation programs are available:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) – VITA offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less; persons with disabilities; the elderly; and taxpayers with limited English. IRS-certified volunteers provide information about tax credits and prepare a basic tax return with electronic filing.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) – TCE offers free tax help to all taxpayers. They offer specialized help to those who are 60 years and older, and have pension or retirement questions. IRS-certified volunteers specialize in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors.
Contact the IRS
For more information, contact the Internal Revenue Service.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers resources to answer your federal tax questions and address topics that matter to you.
- Seniors and Retirees Page—Find answers to federal tax related issues such as tax preparation and tax counseling, along with information to help you avoid common mistakes or tax related scams.
- Tax Guide for Seniors—Review the federal tax preparation guide for seniors.
- Credits for the Elderly or Disabled—Find out if you qualify for federal tax credits for the elderly.
- Free Tax Preparation Services—See if you qualify for the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers free federal tax return preparation for seniors. You can also locate the VITA center near you.
- Frequently Asked Questions—Visit the FAQs for seniors or retirees for answers to your federal tax questions.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers tax assistance and resources for individuals with disabilities:
- Contact your local IRS office for more information on services available to people with disabilities.
- Sponsored by the IRS, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to persons with disabilities. Find a VITA site near you.
- Find tax forms and publications for people with disabilities at IRS.gov Accessibility. This resource contains a current list of accessible tax products available by download. If you prefer hardcopy Braille or large print, please call the IRS at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).