In this module, you examined health, medicine, and the ways that social influences impact health. The social institution of medicine is based on the socially constructed understandings of what is (and is not) illness and wellness. You also took a look at the aging process and the challenges facing the elderly.
What you learned to do:
- Describe the social construction of health and the theoretical perspectives on health and medicine
- Compare and contrast health care in the United States and abroad and describe major health disparities and issues within the United States
- Evaluate the aging of society and summarize the theoretical perspectives on aging
- Examine the process of aging and the biological, social, and psychological changes and perceptions associated with growing old
- Describe and give examples of challenges facing the elderly