Discussion 8B – Research Scavenger Hunt
Complete this assignment to find sources for your topic, create an annotated bibliography, and locate a few key quotes and idea essential to your topic. Use the OWL page on Annotated Bibliography and the Library Tutorials for the databases to help you. This assignment is time consuming, so set aside plenty of time to complete it, but it will make sure you meet the research and documentation requirements of the Research Essay assignment.
Follow this pattern for each item:
- Using the database Academic Search Premier:
- Find a source from a journal published after 2005 related to the topic of your essay.
- Use the Source Evaluation Checklist to analyze the quality, bias, and appropriateness of the source. Respond to the questions to write a paragraph. Be sure to include a quote that captures the main idea of the source and cite it properly in MLA format. This paragraph is your annotation. See the Annotated Bibliography resources on D2L for more info.
- Finally, use the citation tool in the database to generate an MLA style.
- Using the database Proquest News and Newspapers find a news article related to your topic published after 2010. Repeat steps B and C.
- Using the database Opposing Viewpoints in Context, find an editorial or other viewpoint article related to your topic. Repeat Steps B and C.
- Use the Internet to find a source that you think is appropriate, trustworthy, and persuasive to include in your essay. Repeat Step B. Use Excelsior College OWL, Easybib, or another citation generator to create an appropriate MLA citation. Make sure to check anything you use Easybib or another citation generator to compile, as they are not always correct.
- Use the Internet or any database to find a source that you think is NOT appropriate, trustworthy, and persuasive to include in your essay. Repeat Step B and C. Will you include this in your final draft of your essay or works cited?
- Use the Internet or any database to find a source that shows an opposing viewpoint to your position in your essay. Repeat Step B and C. Will you include this in your final draft of your essay or works cited?