For this discussion assignment you are being asked to respond to the “Citing Sources” video tutorial, Introduction to Copyright and Intellectual Property Toolkit, and “Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property” (WIPO) reading from this week, as specified in the questions below. Please answer each of the following questions to the best of your ability and as thoughtfully as possible, and remember to refer to your reading notes.
- After watching the “Citing Sources” video tutorial, do you feel you have a better understanding of why it is important to cite sources within your research projects? Please explain your answer (2-3 sentences).
- What new things did you learn about copyright and intellectual property after viewing the Copyright and Intellectual Toolkit pages? What do you still have questions about?
- Do you think learning more about intellectual property and copyright helps you better understand citation (citing sources) practices? Please explain your answer (2-3 sentences).
- Please share 3 takeaways from the “Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property” reading from your notes. Under each takeaway, provide a 2-3 sentence explanation of its significance to you.
- Feel free to include anything else you wish in this post regarding your thoughts on intellectual property and the practice of citing sources.
- You can directly quote from the reading (using the author's words) or you can paraphrase (in your own words) your takeaways. Remember that takeaways can be anything within the text that taught you something new, made you think about something in a new way, raised a question for you, or stood out to you in any other significant way. If you decide to use direct quotes from the reading, be sure to place quotation marks around the quote(s) as a way to credit the author and so that it does not appear to others that the idea was yours. ↵