Objective: Relate the structure of the cell membrane to is function as a semi-permeable barrier between intracellular fluid and extracellular fluid.
Use this page to check your understanding of the’s content.
- Phospholipid bilayer
- Extracellular fluid
- Intracellular fluid
Study Guide Questions
- What is the purpose of the cell membrane?
- Describe the structure of the cell membrane.
- How does the structure of the cell membrane affect its function? What IS its function?Use the words “hydrophobic” and “hydrophyllic” to describe the cell membrane.
- Why is the cell membrane said to be a “fluid mosaic”?
- What role(s) do proteins play in the cell membrane?
- What role(s) does cholesterol play in the cell membrane?
- What is unique about the cell membrane of an archaean prokaryote?
- How do substances get into and out of the cell?
- Compare and contrast primary and secondary active transport.
- Compare and contrast active and passive transport.
- Compare and contrast simple diffusion and facilitated diffusion
- Compare and contrast endocytosis and exocytosis.
- Define osmosis.
- Given any scenario, predict the movement of water molecules across a semipermeable membrane.
- Describe the concept of “tonicity”.
- Given any solution, be able to label the solution “hyper, hypo or isotonic”.