- Student tray containing the following:
- 3 test tubes (1 small for Part A, 2 large for Part C)
- 1-10 mL graduated cylinder
- 1-250 mL beaker
- 1-400 mL beaker (labeled “Waste”)
- 2.5M NaOH (~10 mL needed per group)
- 5.0M HCl (50 ml needed per group)
- Methyl orange indicator
- Calcium turnings
- DI Water
- Beaker with disposable items: pipettes, scoopula, small weigh boat, Parafilm
- Container of glassware soap and a brush
- Label tape
- Litmus Paper
- White paper
- Test Tube rack OR large beaker
Safety and Notes
*It is important to follow the safety guidelines below while performing this lab.
- Always review MSDS (Safety Data Sheet) information for all chemicals you will be working with before coming to class.
- Sodium hydroxide is caustic. If it gets on your skin, flush with copious amounts of water and inform your instructor.
- HCl is a strong acid. If you get any on your skin flush the area immediately with water and inform your instructor.
- All chemicals must be capped tightly when not in use.
- Use appropriate equipment to handle acids, bases, and wear safety equipment.
- Make sure you properly label (chemical name, concentration, date prepared & initials of preparer) all prepared solutions with labeling tape and sharpie even if you will be disposing of solutions.
- Do not stand directly over any reaction. Do not inhale any vapors released from reactions.
- All waste may be disposed of in container labeled “Chem 111 Waste.”
- Return all materials to trays and drawers in a clean orderly condition for the next class.