A rhetorical analysis requires taking a closer look at the persuasiveness of a message. In this discussion forum, you will find an advertisement of any sort—a video, print, or radio ad—and complete a critical analysis.
STEP 1: Post a link to the advertisement you’ve selected. Analyze its effectiveness by first answering the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the ad?
- What is the argument of the ad?
- Who is the “author” of the ad?
- Who is the intended audience for the ad?
- What is the tone of the ad?
- What is the style and tone of the ad?
- What kind of supporting appeals, evidence, or examples does this ad use or rely on?
Write a summary paragraph about why you believe the ad is effective or ineffective. This paragraph should include a claim (whether or not you think it is effective), evidence, as demonstrated in the ad, and support for that evidence (as explained in the reading on critical analysis from the module).
STEP 2: Respond in two separate posts to two classmates (in at least 75 words). Explicitly address their examples and try to extend, complicate, or redirect their points in a substantive, knowledge-demonstrating way.