STEP 1: First, post the draft of your essay to the discussion forum.
- Copy and paste your draft in a new Google Doc. If you aren’t familiar with Google Docs, review this resource by Google to assist you.
- Title the Google Doc with your first initial, last name, and essay name, ex. “RSmith Narrative Essay.”
- Set the share and edit permissions of the Google Doc to “Anyone with the link.”
- Copy and paste the URL address of the Google Doc into a new discussion post.
STEP 2: Click on another student’s post (that has no other reviews) and complete a review of their essay, using the following template. Remember to be courteous, helpful, and clear. Use the Suggest Edits mode to mark up the essay. Make at least five notes or comments within the essay.
At the bottom of the essay, and again inside the discussion forum, write responses to the following CARES peer review components.
- C: Congratulate. What does the writer do well in this assignment? (List one or more aspects.) Also, please write the writer’s main claim or focus (thesis) according to what you have read. (It may not be the last sentence of the first paragraph – the traditional place for the thesis.)
- A: Ask clarifying questions. What part(s) of the essay were a bit confusing? Why? What specific suggestions (3 or fewer) do you have for revising the unclear parts of this writing?
- R: Request more. What would you like to know more about the topic that can enhance the essay and that supports the thesis?
- E: Evaluate its value. What specific detail(s) do not work with the essay (e.g. doesn’t support the thesis) or can be moved within the essay?
- S: Summarize. Overall, what new information have you learned or how are you thinking differently after this reading?
|Follows prompt directions||Follows the prompt instructions.||Somewhat follows the prompt instructions. Examples may incomplete.||Does not follow the instructions.||__/10|
|Responds to peers||Response is engaged with peer’s post. Posts on time.||Response is somewhat engaged with peer’s post. Post is short and/or late.||Does not follow the instructions.||__/10|