Describe the owner’s responsibility for fire protection during construction.
Learning objective: The student shall be able to describe the owner’s responsibility for fire protection during construction.
Fires that occur during construction can be particularly severe because most fire protection safeguards are not yet in place.
The model fire codes require that the property owner designate a person who is responsible for a fire prevention program during construction. The fire prevention program may contain any or all of the following elements:
• creation of a prefire plan for the project;
• monitoring the timely installation and commission of fire protectionconstruction, systems, and equipment;
• monitoring housekeeping and ignition control;
• providing site security and an onsite fire brigade;
• assuring means of communication to summon the fire departmentduring an emergency; and
• protecting existing structures and equipment from potentialexposure fires.
The fire prevention program is a good tool to emphasize the importance of fire safety practices during construction.
For additional information, refer to NFPA 1, Uniform Fire Code™, Chapter 16, or International Fire Code®, Chapter 14.