1. How do fire suppression operations and tactical ventilation influence the three sides of the fire triangle? Heat is likely to come to mind quickly. However, we actually have the potential to influence all three sides in more than one way.
2. How does hot smoke spreading through a structure contribute to pyrolysis of fuels located remote from the fire? How might this influence fire spread and the hazard presented to firefighters?
3. Which presents a greater threat to firefighters, flames or smoke? Think about why you think this is the case.
4. How is heat transferred from hot materials to water used for fire control and extinghishment? What factors might influence the effectiveness of this process?
5. Most of the flaming combustion in a structure fire involves diffusion flames, where might you encounter pre-mixed flames?
6. How does the concept of thermal ballast relate to fire control and suppression?