Identify and classify common rock forming minerals.
The solid earth is made of rocks, which are made of minerals. To understand rocks you need to become familiar with minerals and how they are identified. This outcome gives you the background needed to understand the terms used in identifying minerals.
This section will introduce you to minerals. You will learn the various techniques used by geologists to identify and classify minerals.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Identify minerals based on their physical characteristics.
- Sort minerals into the correct mineral class.
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Reading: Physical Characteristics of Minerals
- Reading: Classifying Minerals
- Self Check: Identifying Minerals
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.