Describe and compare typical soil profiles and basic soil types.
This section provides information on the different types of soil and soil profiles. You will become familiar with different soil types, their components and common locations.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Identify the measurable components of soil: sand, silt, and clay.
- Identify the primary soil horizons: organic, topsoil, subsoils, and C horizon.
- Identify three common (and important!) types of soil: pedalfer, pedocal, and laterite.
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Reading: Soil Texture and Composition
- Reading: Soil Horizons and Profiles
- Reading: Types of Soils
- Self Check: Soil Profiles and Types
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.