This chapter has several goals and objectives:
- Compare and describe each of these Earth layers: lithosphere, oceanic crust, and continental crust.
- Describe how convection takes place in the mantle and compare the two parts of the core and describe why they are different from each other.
- Explain the concepts of the following hypothesis: continental drift hypothesis, seafloor spreading hypothesis, and the theory of plate tectonics.
- Describe the three types of tectonic plate and how the processes lead to changes in Earth’s surface features.
- What is the driving force of plate tectonics and how does this impact earthquakes and volcanoes around the world?
- How does the theory of plate tectonics help explain the different types of earthquakes and volcanoes around the planet?