Illustrate the basic components and steps of fermentation.
The final metabolic pathway we’ll discuss is fermentation. This is an anaerobic process (it occurs without oxygen).
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Describe fermentation as anaerobic energy production.
- Identify the process, products, and reactants of lactic acid fermentation.
- Identify the process, products, and reactants of alcoholic acid fermentation.
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Reading: Metabolism without Oxygen
- Reading: Types of Fermentation
- Self Check: Fermentation