Describe the structure and function of membranes, especially the phospholipid bilayer.
In this outcome, we’ll learn about the structure of membranes.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Describe the structure of cell membranes.
- Identify components of the cell membrane, including phospholipids, cholesterol, proteins, and carbohydrates.
- Explain why hydrophilic substances cannot pass through the interior of the cell membrane.
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Reading: Structure of the Cell Membrane
- Reading: Phospholipids
- Self Check: Structure of the Membrane