Identify the impact of Gregor Mendel on the field of genetics and apply Mendel’s two laws of genetics.
Gregor Mendel is often referred to as the Father of Genetics. But just what did he do to earn this honorary title? In this outcome we’ll examine the work he did and how his work still impacts genetics today.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Describe Mendel’s study of garden peas and hereditary.
- Apply the law of segregation.
- Apply the law of independent assortment.
- Understand how the inheritance of a genotype generates a phenotype.
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Reading: Mendel’s Experiments and Heredity
- Reading: Laws of Inheritance
- Reading: Characteristics and Traits
- Video: Heredity
- Self Check: The Father of Genetics