At Lumen Learning, our purpose is to help higher education institutions improve affordability, access and student success by supporting wide-scale adoption of open educational resources (OER). We provide low-cost open courseware, guidance and support to help institutions transition high enrollment courses to OER.
We work like this:
- Together we discuss your goals, priorities and how we can help
- We collaborate with faculty members to design OER-based online courses that curate and map OER to learning outcomes
- We provide ongoing faculty and platform support for OER-based courses and professional development around effective use of OER
- We recommend continuous improvements to courses and content based on student success data
Whether your primary goals are to improve affordability, access, student success or educational innovation, we can help.
OHM: A Better Solution for Math Education
OHM is an online math education system created with open educational resources (OER). Supporting math instruction from arithmetic and developmental math through calculus, the system provides complete OER replacement for expensive commercial textbooks and online practice systems.
OHM Supports Hands-on Learning
OHM is an open system designed by math educators to provide students with educational content, practice problems and immediate feedback to help them master math skills. It includes:
- Digital instructional content (text, video, etc.)
- Online homework system
- Algorithmically-generated problem sets
- Machine-graded assessments
- Automatic day-one access to course materials
- Sample courses instructors can customize
Who Uses OHM?
OHM was originally developed by David Lippman, a math faculty member at Washington’s Pierce College. Hundreds of instructors have contributed to designing question banks and strengthening instructional content. Thousands of instructors and students have used OHM for affordable, effective math education.
Enjoy the Benefits of Paid Support for OHM
Lumen Learning provides extremely low-cost, paid support for OHM to ensure institutions have not only a reliable system, but also faculty training and technical support for successful implementations. Lumen support includes:
- Virtual training to orient instructors on how to use OHM
- Instructor assistance to identify, configure and customize content for the courses they are teaching
- Ongoing faculty support to answer questions and suggest best practices
- Models for easily creating and replicating courses for large numbers of instructors
- Prompt action on issues or corrections identified in OHM materials and problem sets
- Integration between OHM and the institution’s LMS to facilitate data sharing
- Service level guarantees for reliable uptime and response time
- Interactive partnership with Lumen support team to map your needs to into system enhancements
Support fees fund continued investment in the OHM platform to assist us in keeping the platform and the content current, available, and secure. As you come to rely on OHM for core curriculum, you’ll want the assurance provided by a system with full support and sustained funding.