DIGESTIVE DISORDERS –
Inflammatory Digestive Disorders:
- Appendicitis- acute inflammation of the appendix. First symptoms include referred pain in the umbilical region and nausea. Later, pain is localized in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)- is a group of chronic disorders that cause painfully, swollen, inflamed intestines, abdominal cramps, and bloody diarrhea.
- Irritable bowel syndrome( IBS)- is an intestional disorder causing abdominal bloating, cramping, pain and diarrhea.
- Diverticulitis- a disorder of the large intestine. Small, saclike outpockets of the colon often develop from a diet lacking sufficient fiber. Can cause pain, bloating and diarrhea.
- Hemorrhoids- condition in which one or more veins in the anal canal become enlarged and inflamed. Chronic constipation can cause this.
- Hepatitis- inflammation of the liver, and it may be caused by several factors, including viruses, drugs or alcohol. Characterized by jaundice, fever, and liver enlargement.
- Periodontal disease- refers to a variety of conditions characterized by inflammation: bleeding gums and degeneration of the gingivae, cememtum, periodontal ligaments and alveolar bone.
- Peritonitis- the acute inflammation of the peritoneum that lines the abdominal cavity and covers abdominal organs.
NonInflammatory Digestive Disorders:
- Cirrhosis- of the liver is characterized by scarring, which results from connective tissue replacing destroyed liver cells. It may be caused by hepatitis, alcoholism’s, nutritional deficiencies or live parasites.
- Constipation- condition in which the defecation is difficult and the feces are hard and dry.
- Dental Caries- tooth decay
- Diarrhea- production of watery feces due to abnormally rapid movement of food residues through the colon.
- Eating disorders- result from an obsessive concern about weight control( Anorexia, Bulimia)
- Gallstones- result from crystallization of cholesterol in bile.