When interpreting complex medical terms, it is best to learn root words and word endings individually. When the words are combined, understanding the meanings will be much simpler.
Module 11 medical terms:
lymph- watery fluid
- lymphatic (lymph/atic)- system of the body that is part of the circulatory system and a vital part of the immune system, comprising a network of vessels that carry a clear, watery, fluid called lymph.
- diarrhea (dia/rrhe/a)- means to flow through the body such as looseness or frequency of bowel movement.
- acrodynia (air/odyn/ia)- denotes pain in the extremities.
- dactyledema (dactyl/edema)- is an abnormal swelling of the fingers or toes due to fluid accumulation.
ependym- wrapping or covering
- ependyma (eponym/a)- is the name of the membrane or covering that lines the cavities of the brain and the canal enclosing the spinal cord.
- Leukoplakia (leuk/o/plak/ia)- is a disease marked by white thickened plates or patches.
- splenohepatomegaly (splen/o/hepat/o/megaly)- denotes an enlargement of the spleen and liver.
- Lien is the medical name for the spleen.
ectomy-surgical removal of all or part of
- adenectomy (aden/ectomy)- is the surgical removal or excision of all or part of a gland.
scop- observing or viewing
- scope (scop/e) denotes an instrument for observing or viewing
- contrastimulant- means against,counter stimulation.
- mycosis- (myc/osis)- condition of a fungus.