When interpreting complex medical terms, it is best to learn root words and word endings individually. When the words are combined, understanding the meanings will be much simpler.
- rhinal (rhin/al) is a term pertaining to or of the nose.
- cyanoderma(cyan/o/derm/a) pertains to a blue,bluish discoloration of the skin.
- angiectasis (angi/ectasis) denotes the beyond normal stretching or expansion of a vessel.
- pneumonitis (pneumon/itis)- inflammation of the lungs
- pertaining to the lungs
- parietal (pariet/al)- pertains to the walls of a cavity.
- aerial (aer/i/al)- pertaining to the air.
pleur- pleura(membrane), rib, side
- pleura (pleur/a) is the name of the membrane that covers the lungs and lines the thoracic cavity.
- osmics (osm/ics)- refers to the science dealing with smells, odors.
- pharyngalgia (pharyng/algia)- denotes pain in the pharynx
- laryngeal (laryng/e/al) pertains to the larynx
- bronchitis (bronch/itis)- is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes.
- esophagoptosis (esophag/o/ptosis)- denotes a falling down, drooping, or displacement of the esophagus.
- pectoralgia (pector/algia)- denotes pain in the chest
alveol- cavity, socket
- alveolus (alveol/us) is the name used to designate a small saclike pit or cavity.
trachel- neck or neck like structure
- trachelomyitis(trachel/o/my/itis)- is an inflammation of the muscles of within the neck area