When interpreting complex medical terms, it is best to learn root words and word endings individually. When the words are combined, understanding the meanings will be much simpler.
Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- nephrotomy(nephr/otomy) is a surgical cutting,incision into the kidney.
cyst- sac containing fluid, bladder
- Paracystitis (para/cyst/itis) is an inflammation of the tissues around the urinary bladder.
- lithic (lith/ic) means pertaining to a stone.
- vesicle (vesic/a) is a general term for a bladder.
- suprarenal (supra/ren/al) refers to being situated above the kidneys.
- urethrostenosis (urethr/o/sten/osis) denotes a condition of narrowing of the urethra.
- ureteric (ureter/ic) pertains to the ureter, the tube that carries urine from the kidney to the bladder.
Medical Terminology for the Reproductive System
- hysterorrhexis (hyster/o/rrhexis) denotes a rupturing or tearing of the uterus.
- panhysterectomy (pan/hyster/ectomy) is the surgical removal of the whole total of the uterus.
- mastectomy (mast/ectomy) is the surgical removal of all or part of the breast.
- semeiology (semen/ology) is the study of semen.
ovar-egg (the female reproductive gland)
- ovariogenic (ovari/o/gen/ic) refers to being produced in the ovaries
- lacteal (lact/e/al) pertains to or of milk.
colpo- hollow, vagina
- colpitis (col/itis) is an inflammation of the vagina.
- orchidopexy (orchid/o/pexy) is the surgical fixing of a displaced testicle.
part- labor, bring forth
- prepartal (pre/part/al) denotes occurring just before labor or birth.
- oophoron (oophor/ on) is another name for ovary
- the word gravid means pregnant
- mammogram (mamm/ o/gram) is the record of an x-ray of the breast.
- hematometra (hemat/o/metr/a) refers to an accumulation of blood in the uterus.
- thelium(thel/ium) is the medical name for the nipple.
- proliferous (proli/fer/ous) denotes being characterized by the production of children (offspring).
- pelviotomy- is a surgical procedure of cutting into the pelvis at any point to facilitate delivery.
- gynecologist (gyn/ec/ologist) someone that studies the female system.