Now that you have a better understanding of what multimodality is, you are ready to approach a project and consider what modes work best or are necessary for you to reach an audience. Below are some reminders about the content you have covered:
- Keep in mind the relationship between modes and media. A mode is a means of communicating, while a medium is the substance through which communication is conveyed.
- The five modes are linguistic, visual, aural, spatial, and gestural.
- Multimodal texts combine different modes. While often one mode will predominate, more frequently, several modes combine to communicate a message or argument
- Remediation is the representation of one medium in another.
- Remix, a tool of remediation, involves changing, blending, adding to, or taking away from an original work.
- Attribution in remediation and remix offers a way to acknowledge who was responsible for creating the original work(s).
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.