Now that you have learned strategies for active, rhetorical reading and vocabulary building, apply them in your own work. As you read, remember to do the following:
- Consider the author’s rhetorical context;
- Consider your rhetorical context as the reader;
- Preview the text, and make predictions;
- Read actively, questioning the author’s ideas and annotating the text;
- Summarize the text after reading, and discuss it with others;
- Use context clues to help you understand the meaning of new words;
- Read voraciously and strategically.
Remember that academic reading and writing are an evolving conversation in which you are an active participant. Rhetorical reading helps you understand the thoughts of others and develop your own ideas, insights, and vocabulary.