Welcome to Module 1: Why Open?
By the end of this section, you will be able to:
- Explain reasons why openness in education matters
- Define Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Describe the 5R’s of OER
In order to successfully complete this module you will need to do the following:
- Watch: David Wiley, TEDxNYED video
- Read: Chapter 6: Game Changers.
- Read: What is OER?
- Read and Discover: The 5R’s of OER.
- Read: Tidewater Community College Policy on the Use of Open Educational Resources
- Self Introduction. In case you have not introduced yourself to your peers, before you proceed – please go to the Discussion Board and post your introduction (and don’t forget to change that Avatar!)
- Post to Module 1 Blog:How do you answer the question: Why Open? Share your thoughts, concerns and impressions about the idea of Open in a blog post. The blog is designed as a Course Blog which means that we can see each others Blogs and then make comments. Please be sure and read what others are saying and feel free to comment.
- Module 1 Mastery Quiz. This is a short Quiz that will allow you to assess your mastery of the material in this Module. You have unlimited attempts at this Quiz. Mastery of the content is achieved when you have scored 90% or above on this assessment.
Once you have completed these items, you are ready to move onto the next Module.