Chapter 5: Audience Analysis
By Lisa Schreiber, Ph.D. and Morgan Hartranft
Millersville University, Millersville, PA
After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- List techniques for analyzing a specific target audience.
- Explain audience analysis by direct observation.
- Describe audience analysis by inference.
- Identify the purpose of a basic questionnaire.
- Recognize and apply data sampling.
- Determine when to use a Likert-type test.
- Define the five categories of audience analysis.
- Summarize the purpose of the situational analysis.
- Explain audience analysis by demography.
- Recognize the difference between beliefs, attitudes and values.
- Identify reasons for sampling a multicultural audience.
- Apply the chapter concepts in final questions and activities.
- Approaches to Audience Analysis
- Direct Observation
- Models of Communication
- Categories of Audience Analysis
- Situational Analysis
- Demographic Analysis
- Psychological Analysis
- Multicultural Analysis
- Interest and Knowledge Analysis
- Review Questions and Activities