Objective: Define energy and describe applications to living systems.
Use this page to check your understanding of the content.
- Activation energy
- Kinetic energy
- Potential energy
- Chemical energy
Study Guide Questions
- Compare and contrast several different forms of energy.
- Understand the energetic dynamics of chemical bonds. In other words, know whether energy is USED UP or RELEASED when chemical bonds break and form.
- Define “activation energy” and explain how enzymes affect activation energy.
- What is an enzyme? How are enzymes related to energy in the body?
- What is the first law of thermodynamics? Be able to describe an example illustrating the law.
- What is the second law of thermodynamics? Be able to describe an example illustrating the law.
- Be able to trace the source of all energy in living systems. Your answer should include the source of energy in the sun.
- Know the structure of ATP. Be able to explain HOW ATP can function as a source of energy in the body.