After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Romanesque art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this era
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Romanesque art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Romanesque art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What are the typical elements of a Romanesque church?
- Besides architecture, what other types of art were produced during the Romanesque era?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- barrel vault
- groin (cross) vault
- radiating chapels
- historiated capital
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.