After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Romantic art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Romantic art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Romantic art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What are the key characteristics of Romantic art?
- How was Romanticism different from earlier Neoclassical art?
- How did Romantic art develop differently in the United States?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- pastoral landscape
- sublime landscape
- Manifest Destiny
- Hudson River School
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.