After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of European Baroque art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of European Baroque art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of European Baroque art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- How did the Baroque look different across Europe?
- What are the key characteristics of the Baroque in Flanders, Dutch Republic, Spain and France?
- What are the various genres of Baroque art in these countries?
- How did the local religious beliefs affect Baroque art in these countries?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- secular painting
- still life
- genre painting
- painterly v. linear
- camera obscura
- vanitas paintings
- objects d’art
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.