SUNY OER Courses
SUNY OER Services offers template courses that can serve as starting points for your own development. You can mix, match, and adapt anything from the courses below quite easily.
These courses are delivered via the Lumen Learning platform, and can be integrated into your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle) quite easily.
- Geology: This course focuses on the essentials of Geology, providing more depth of coverage. This course is available both as a Candela course or a Waymaker course.
- Earth Science: This course covers a broad range of topics from minerals to the solar system.
- Physical Geography: This course approaches Geography from a geological perspective—focusing on the earth and earth systems.
- Natural Resource Biometrics: an Open SUNY Textbook
Beyond what’s already hosted inside the SUNY OER Services platform, many OER collections contain useful material for Earth Sciences courses. If you have suggestions of public domain or Creative Commons content to add here, please let us know.
|The College of Earth and Mineral Sciences||Penn State||Extensive course listings of Energy, Mineral Sciences, Geography, Geosciences, and Meteorology materials to support fully OER classrooms||Varies|
|Physical Geology||BC Campus||Textbook||CC BY|
|RIO (Research Ideas and Outcomes)||Rio Journal||An open journal. “Our scope encompasses all areas of academic research, including sicence, technology, humanities, and the social sciences.”||CC BY|
|European Geosciences Union||EGU||A network of Geologic blogs||CC BY|
|Paleos||Paleos||This site covers geologic time (as well as cosmic evolution)||CC BY|
|PhET Interactive||University of Colorado Boulder||Simulations||CC BY|
|Geochronology—Methods and Case Studies||InTech Open||Textbook. This site has other open texts on it.||CC BY|
|Global Warming—Causes, Impacts and Remedies||InTech Open||Textbook. This site has other open texts on it.||CC BY|
|NASA Education: Higher Education||NASA||Resources||PD|
|Science 360||NSF||Video and resources||PD|
|USGS||USGS||“general interest publications” list of essays and readings||PD|
|Earth Science||Wikibooks||Textbook||CC BY SA|
|Earth Science Concepts||CK-12||Textbook||CC BY NC SA|
|Earth Science||CK-12||Textbook||CC BY NC SA|
|Introducing the Environment||Open University||Course||CC BY NC SA|
|Imageo||EGU||Repository of geological images; all images are open, but they vary||Varies|
|Forest Measurements: An Applied Approach||OpenOregon||Textbook||CC BY|
|Environmental Biology||OpenOregon||Textbook||CC BY|
|Environmental ScienceBites||The Ohio State University||Textbook. Student writing & open pedagogy project||CC BY NC|
|An Introduction to Geology||Salt Lake Community College||Textbook||CC BY NC SA|
If you’d like to utilize any of the above resources in your own classroom, you’re welcome to
- link directly to them in your learning management system (LMS)
- copy and paste these materials into any format you’d like (a page in your LMS or a Word document, etc.). Include the copyright information and attribute the source as needed
- print out materials and distribute them in your classroom. Include the copyright information and attribute the source as needed
- talk with SUNY OER Services about integrating them into your LMS
- talk with SUNY OER Services about collecting them in a bound, printed version to provide through your campus bookstore