A Preface to the Readings
The readings in this unit are challenging texts that rely on sophisticated vocabulary and syntax that may at times seem cumbersome or outdated. Each of these texts requires multiple readings. Consider taking the following approach:
- Read the text quickly and jot down your initial reaction and questions.
- Go back and read the text slowly. Look up every word you don’t know. Take note of any sentence or paragraph that remains confusing.
- Research other authors, texts, or historical events to which your reading refers.
- Refine your reaction to and questions about the text. Draw connections between this reading and other course texts.
- Pose reflections on and questions about each text using the Hypothes.is annotation tool.
- Raise your questions in class or in office hours.