The Ohio State University library catalog contains records for all the items owned or licensed by OSU Libraries and is searchable online. It also includes a circulation system that is used to check out materials. Students can use the system to have books and other materials quickly sent to their residence hall or for pick up at a library on main campus or any of the regional campus libraries. Items in the catalog include books, journals, documents, maps, movies, and recordings.
When to Use It
Use the library catalog to search for items that you can access with your Ohio State affiliation, to locate where those materials are stored, and to request them.
Note that OSU’s library catalog:
- Does not contain the full-text of any materials. However, some items may include a table of contents and a link to full-text digital content.
- Does not contain specific articles. The catalog can only tell you whether a periodical title is available.
How to Use It
To access the catalog, choose the Books and More tab on the OSU Libraries’ main page at http://library.osu.edu. From there, you can do a search or click on More Options to get to get access to other search options, including an advanced search.
The catalog allows searching by author, title, journal title, subject, and keyword as well as specialty numbers such as the Library of Congress call number and ISBN (International Standard Book Number). There is also an option for advanced search.
- Keyword searches are the broadest search, as they span all information in an item record. (The search tips in Precision Searching, are based on using keywords.)
- Subjects are a very specific set of terms that are helpful for precision searches. Often, the easiest way to find subject terms is to do a keyword search and look at the subject terms for those that are good matches for your topic.
- The Advanced Search screen allows a few additional search capabilities, such as multiple search fields to narrow the scope of a search term. You can also limit by year range, language, location, or format.