What you’ll learn to do: explain need-based theories of worker motivation
In this section we will look at four main theories about how human needs are satisfied: Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, Alderfer’s ERG theory, Herzberg’s two-factor theory, and McClelland’s acquired-needs theory.
The specific things you’ll learn in this section include:
- List the various levels of needs in Maslow’s hierarchy
- Explain the impact that Maslow’s levels of needs have on worker motivation
- Summarize the changes to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs in Alderfer’s ERG theory
- Explain the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivators in Herzberg’s two-factor theory
- Describe how employees might be motivated using McClelland’s acquired needs theory