About This Book
This College Writing Handbook is a modified version of the Guide to Writing by Vallerie Mott and a writer listed as “Alexis.” The original version of this book was released under a CC-BY license and is copyright by Lumen Learning. The changes to this book listed are released under a CC-BY-SA license and are copyright by Joshua Dickinson of Jefferson Community College.
List of Changes
- Added Instructor Resources in private view.
- Renumbered all the Parts to accommodate the addition of Parts 1 & 7.
- Created Part 1: Thinking Through the Disciplines and reordered the remaining sections.
- Added ESL Writing Online Workshop page (from the Excelsior OWL site) to Part 4: Usage.
- Added Sentence Style page to Part 5: Sentence Structure.
- Reordered Part 6, adding the following pages: Active Writing vs. Passive Writing; The Writing Process; Thesis Hints; How not to Write the Introduction and Conclusion; Transitions Placemat; Outlining; Taking Notes, Quoting, Summarizing, and Paraphrasing; Quote Sparingly, Checklist: Using Quotations Effectively; The One-Sentence Paraphrase Rule; How Instructors View Paraphrases; Moves for Providing Commentary; How Might I Avoid Letting Source Use Take Over?; and Peer Editing is Inherently Self-Interested.
- Added Part 7: Diction.
- Expanded Part 8: Research to include the following Pages: SUNY Jefferson Information Literacy Tutorial; Argument Pointers: Some Basics. . . ; Why Mark Up Your Texts?; U of Southern Mississippi Avoiding Plagiarism Tutorial; Avert the Goblin Threat in this Interactive Plagiarism Game!; Citing FAQs, Research Worksheet: Types of Evidence; The Annotated Bibliography Exercise.
- Expanded Part 9: MLA Citations to include MLA Style and What to Include When Citing, and Citing Sources in MLA LibGuide.
You are free to use, modify or adapt any of this material providing the terms of the Creative Commons licenses are adhered to.